Two bronze drinking fountains, sculpted by Emilie Fiero in 1924, stood on the east and west sides of the lake in Wade Park next to the Cleveland Museum of Art until they were stolen in 1980. Working from black and white photographs, senior sculpture conservator Tom Podnar has reproduced these magnificent fountains and, in the spring of 2017, they were returned to their original stone bases in their original locations.

Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art
Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art

Sculpture Conservator Tom Podnar sculpting the new drinking fountain in clay

Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art

The original “heron fountains” were by sculptor Emilie Fiero and installed in 1928. They were stolen in 1980 and replaced with concrete cubes.

Working from old photographs, McKay Lodge Conservation Laboratory outside the town of Oberlin created a clay model (completed July 2016) that was used to make molds for bronze casting of two new fountains.

Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art

Casting the bronze fountains at Studio Foundry, Cleveland

Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art

Detail of the drinking fountain before patination

Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art
Art Conservation Cleveland Public Art

Detail of the drinking fountain before patination

Art Conservation Cleveland Public ArtArt Conservation Cleveland Public ArtArt Conservation Cleveland Public ArtArt Conservation Cleveland Public ArtArt Conservation Cleveland Public ArtArt Conservation Cleveland Public Art
Print Friendly, PDF & Email